Recently I had an order for a Gatsby burlesque corset. I made this corset using beautiful emerald green satin, black satin lining and gorgeous gold rhinestones appliques for the front design. This is how I made this corset. Firstly I constructed a corset pattern from my customers measurements. I made a toile and we had a fitting so I could see how the corset would fit. I don’t always need to do this, as I do sell my corsets online and I usually do this without actually meeting the customers, however my customer was in Berlin, so we had the chance to meet! After I was sure the corset would fit perfectly I cut out the pieces in all the proper fabrics. Each piece was sewn together and I put the lining together too.
Next I had to sew the bone channels and cut each spiral bone for each channel. I didn’t use a steel busk for this design, as it wouldn’t of worked with the appliques on the front. So instead I put extra spiral bones down the front to add extra support. I also cut 4 straight steel bones for the back of the corset and inserted them. After I closed the tops and bottoms of the corset and made black satin bias binding and sewed this on the edges. I then cut the holes for the laces at the back and added the eyelets. I added black cotton laces and to finish off the design I hand stitched the appliques to the front of the corset. The piece fit perfectly and my customer was very happy with the final product! I love this design and I think the gold appliques look striking on the green satin.